Richard did actually attend the his conference. The man has a work ethic like an elf on Chirstmas Eve. So while he was a-working, I went a-hiking.
I climbed Mt. Nounou.
Here's what the guide has to say about the trail:
There are three Nounou Mountain Trails. It is referred to as the "Sleeping Giant Trail" because you will be hiking right across the big guy's chest. The "giant's" profile is most easily seen from nearly anywhere in Kapa'a - it's easiest to spot his chin first. The trail begins with several switchbacks through a shady forest of ironwood, guava, and silk oak to name a few. Along your path you are treated to stunning views of Kapa'a and Waipouli. You begin to gain elevation steadily past .75 miles. After a brief trek over a lava outcropping you will begin again switchbacking up the mountain as you get views of Kalepa Ridge, Wailua Bay and the Hoary Head Mountains.
Right then. For "switchbacking up the mountian" you can insert *gasp. hate-hiking-stupid-trees- gasp* and for "stunning views" you can insert *sheer terror of heights* or *visions of tumbling to a bone-crushing doom* but other than that it was a wonderful little afternoon jaunt.
Here's the view from the trailhead:
The giant's body was actually hidden behind someone's house, but you get a good look at the profile of his forehead and chin. yup. we're going all the way up to the chin.
At the one-mile marker I
These signs were posted at various spots with "stunning views" of the Wailua bay.
The sign actually reads "Hazardous Cliff! The ground may break off without warning and you could be seriously injured or killed. Stay back from the edge." Right. Not helping my fear of heights here, people.
But despite my epic wimpy-ness I did make it all the way to the top for my much deserved picnic lunch. I then trekked further to the giant's chin, which may have been the stupidest thing that I have done since walking to the edge of the 250ft Fall Creek Falls waterfall. I could hear my mother yelling at me the whole way.
But the view from the top was worth it. It was a clear day, and I could see the entire island. I met God on the mountaintop.




"Visions of tumbling to a bone-crushing doom"
ReplyDeleteI love it.
I need to join a metal band just so we can release an album with that title.
Nice pictures, too. Have you told people about how you zip-lined for hundreds of meters over the jungle canopy? Way to face your fears!
So cool and a little to scary. I think I would have stayed at the resort and relaxed at the pool.
ReplyDeleteThe journey is the destination. Nice boots.
ReplyDeleteI think that looks amazing! Way to conquer, Sarah!
ReplyDeleteI love reading your posts. You are wonder-Sarah!...in cute boots......at the edge of cliffs.
ReplyDeleteYou are so hilarious... what a fun hike... I need to play tourist some time and do the same thing as you... we're not there on Kaua'i yet, just our house... I'm in AZ right now so we wouldn't have seen each other while you were there. If your hunny has another work conference there let me know. I should be there by then :) xoxoxoxo Fuchi
ReplyDelete