Growing up in the Nickel hosehold, Easter was an especially exciting holiday. The night before (Easter Eve) the Easter Tooth Fairy would come and hide eggs and candy for all the good little boys and girls and then leave a basket by our bedroom doors. When we woke in the morning we would stand at the threshold of the den like olympic sprinters, eyeing the candy in the open and plotting the best routes around the room until our parents would yawn "okay, go!". And the mad scramble would begin. Because there was candy everywhere.
Everywhere.
Door frames. window sills. couch cushions, lampshades, doorhandles, wedged between vinyl records and books and videocassettes...
And the since whole point of Easter candy is, of course, to-end-up-with-more-candy-than-your-siblings the competition was fierce and merciless.
But, sadly, as we grew older we became more generous. After all, it's just candy, nothing worth fighting over. Tim and I started letting Brian find most of the candy. We were playing nicely. The Easter edge had been lost.
Until one teenage year (dum dum dum...) when the Easter Tooth Fairy hid money in the plastic eggs. Imagine, if you will, a nineteen, fifteen, and eleven year old who have all just realized that there is money laying around the house. It's okay to cringe.
For the next several years, Easter was once again a highly anticipated holiday. And so, in the spirit of family
Easter 2011: Nickel style
Sam admiring his loot so far.
Whoa! There is candy in between the piano keys!!!
Seriously Dad, I don't have time for pictures. I've got candy to find.
My favorite picture: getting the candy down from the door frame. *wipes tear* ah, memories.
No, wait, this is my favorite picture. Josh did not like all the morning crazy-ness (the tear!!) and just needed his momma to cuddle with him.
It is now two weeks after Easter I we are still finding candy hidden around the house. I suspect we will continue to find candy until, oh, Halloween.

As usual, your post brings a smile to my face. Love your pictures!
ReplyDeleteLove it! Can I wake up at your house next Easter morn?
ReplyDeleteDo the tooth bunnies ever eat candy the night before?!
ReplyDelete