Wednesday, February 16, 2011

How to announce your pregnancy

Tip #1:  Prepare your parents for the shock


With our first baby, Richard and I were too giddy with excitement to understand/believe that anyone could possibly feel differently.  So we just fired the news at our parents, point blank:

me: Hey everyone!  we're havin' a baby!!
my mom: that's so wonderful!
richard's mom: how exciting!
my dad: congratulations *wipes a tear*
richard's dad: *silence*

Now that I have kids of my own, I realize that I may have misheard their adulations.  The conversation probably went more like this:

me: Hey everyone!  we're havin' a baby!!
my mom: but you haven't finished your degree yet!! isn't this a bit irresponsible?!
richard's mom: do you even have insurance? savings? anything?!
my dad: please tell me you aren't going to need to move back home.  *wipes tear*
richard's dad: *silence*

Tip #2: Grandparents love their grandchildren.  Take advantage of this.

When we were expecting Thing Two, we thought it would be a great idea to have Hannah make the announcement, since she's just so dang cute!  Unfortunately, she couldn't talk yet.

No problem, we thought.  We'll just get a bib that says "World's Best Big Sister!", then take her over to the grandparents for dinner!  so adorable!

Yikes.  Wal-Mart doesn't make bibs for older siblings.  Apparently they assume if you have a child that still needs a bib, you would be crazy to have another.  I completely agree with them.

Solution!  We'll get a Sharpie and write "World's Best Big Sister!" on the back of a cheap, plastic bib.  That'll do just fine.

Half way through dinner:
Sarah: Has anyone noticed Hannah's new bib?!?
Richard's mom: Well, I saw it but I thought it was kinda weird, so....

Tip #3: More Creative does not necessarily mean More Better

For our third little bundle of joy, we decided to think outside of the box.  Do something special, something memorable, something so hilariously funny that it would be the best baby announcement EVER!!!!


The plan: Bake a cake with one of those little Mardi Gras babies in it.  Then when someone gets the baby slice, we yell "We're havin' a BABAH!!!" and have streamers shoot down from the ceiling and balloons float up from under the table and....

It all went wrong:  One mistake led to another and we ended up dropping a minature Dopey (one of the seven dwarfs) into the pot of baked beans.

My Dad: Hey! Um, there's a little person in my beans.
Sarah: That's 'cause we're having a BABAH!!!
My Dad:  Oh.
My Dad: But why is there a little person in my beans, then?

Tip #4: Give it up already

By the time baby four came around, we were tired.  sick and tired.

Sarah: *rushes into parent's house* Hi mom, excuse me...I gotta throw up...
Mom: *backs away*
Sarah: ...'cause I'm pregnant


___________________________________

Even though mostly everyone knows that we're expecting by now, I thought I should make it "blogger official".   Yes, my last post was about our trip to Hawaii.  No, it is not a coincidence.

Mahalo!


20 comments:

  1. Hilarious as usual! I actually LOLed for you. I also loved the story about barfing and the Park. Sam's a bright kid and made an excellent and well reasoned argument. =) Congrats on number 4!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could read this 100 times and still laugh out loud. Seriously so funny. I hope you are feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's hilarious!! Congrats on baby #4, and hope you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YOU MUST BE FEELING BETTER! WAHOO! I actually laughed out loud on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for you! You are hilarious -- this on totally made me laugh. Hope you are feeling OK by now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I figure for number five we'll let you parents know by just showing up at their house with a new child. We'll watch them squirm while they try to remember the kid's name. Then we'll yell out "Surprise! We had another BABAH!!!"

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're a nut. And since I'm not the type to say "I told you so"...I'll just say "Welcome little LuLu!"

    BaHahahahahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats! You two do make cute babies! I hope you're not so sick this time around.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sarah: I had to hold back my laughter since I read this in the library and I don't think they would have appreciated me making so much noise.
    Richard: 2 things: 1)Your blogging name thing always trips my up. I always think "I haven't posted any- wait! Dernit!" And 2)I just about cried at your comment. Again, I'm in the library. I love yall!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I actually had to hold my stomach in deep rooted laughter through this post. You are a riot. Congratulations!!! You should definitely come to book club this month so I can tell you in person. I don't get to see you nearly as often as I'd like.

    Do you think I can talk my husband into a trip to Hawaii?!! =0)

    ReplyDelete
  11. We got odd silence with my father in law too. :) I was embarrassed to tell my parents--hello what was I admitting to in that? Yeah, I know.

    Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations!!! I can't wait to meet your newest little one.

    Also, this is freakin' HILARIOUS! I can imagine your parents reactions each time and I think that makes is funnier.

    Can't wait to see you again! Though I'm not sure when that might be...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sweetie keeps Dopey on her desk just in case you need it again!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That' is so wonderful! Congratulations! And love the hilarious post.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I miss you...and your sparkiness!!
    -AMS

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh. My. Gosh. This just made me laugh so hard. You crack me up :) Feel better!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It was so good to see you again on Sunday! yay, you're back among the land of the living! You are such a good writer! I LOVE your posts! This was hysterical! It makes me think... perhaps this is a good idea for a blog post of my own (NOT that we will ever be having another BAABAH!!! but to document the stories behind all of our announcements).

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm wiping a tear because that was so funny! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete