Me: Ummmm, no. They do not.
Sam Well, then why do they call it the Smoky Mountains then?
This last weekend we all went camping up in East Tennessee in the Smoky Mountains. It was important that we do this now because:
1. Camping is awesome and it builds character.
2. It was a good way to meet up with Laura and Jason (and Avery and Carter) whom we hadn't seen in a while.
3. I am pregnant. And I will not be willing to sleep on the ground for much longer.
Laura and Jason found this great campsite at Elkmont right next to a little creek, so the kids had a great time playing around in the water while the grown-ups did other things, like set up tents, prepare meals, nap...
There aren't any pictures of Sam in the water...he had a little too much fun and got his pants wet, so he took them off. Then he took his shirt off, too, just for good measure. So imagine, if you will, that just out of camera range Sam is frolicking around in complete freedom, and that's okay, Mom, because we're camping!
Poor Josh had a pretty dramatic night-time face plant in the gravel, but he cleaned up nicely and still had a good time.
When I was a little-er girl my parents took all of us to the Smokies and we went horseback riding. Sam, Josh and Richard wll went for the more tame carriage ride while Hannah and I took to the trail cowboy style. She thought it was the most-bestest-awesomest-thing ever. I mean, she acted all casual, no big deal mom, just riding a horse up here, I'm totally in control... but every now and then she would let herself grin.
Saturday we all hiked up to Laurel Falls:
It's a lovely 2.6 (round-trip) mile hike, but since we overestimated Josh's walking endurance and neglected to bring the carrier (d'oh!) it seemed a lot longer:
Fortunately, Laura and Jason had brought both their carriers and let us do the kid shuffle so we all made it to the top, with a few adventures on the way.
D'awww, what a cute family!
Avery thinks that next time the Grandparents need to come!








AND HER FAVORITE AUNT SHOULD COME TOOO!!!!
ReplyDeleteI'm proud of you for camping pregnant. That's definitely on my list of things I don't do after the 1st trimester. I'm sure it has something to do with the fact that I have a temperpedic bed at home so why sleep anywhere else. =)
ReplyDeleteP.S. It's amazing how much Hannah looks like you. I think you need to dig out a picture of you at that age and share on the blog.
Awww, what a cute family is right! And camping while pregnant? You never cease to amaze me, Sarah. Glad to hear you are feeling well enough to go.
ReplyDeleteI camped in the backyard at 5 months a long and after a few rocks hit my back, I went inside to my bed. :) You go girl! Looks like fun! We camp up in Elkmont! LOVE it. Favorite place to go and we go tubing in that little river.
ReplyDeleteNice kerchief. Elkmont is my favorite too.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Avery. SO sorry we couldn't make it. I miss my babies. Young and old ones.
ReplyDeleteSo are you saying I have no character??? Nice.
ReplyDeleteBut you are an awful cute family!
You are one amazing and fun mom! Thanks for holding Isaac last night! :)
ReplyDeleteYou inspire me. I've been afraid to sleep in a tent with my wiggly children. The volcano comment made me laugh.
ReplyDeleteYou are so fun. Seriously impressed.
ReplyDeleteWow, camping while pregnant! We slept on the living room floor in our sleeping bags the other night, and I made it til 6am before I got in my bed. That's almost as impressive, right?
ReplyDelete