Sunday, February 28, 2010

I am exercising self-restraint and NOT posting about how cute and absolutely adorable Josh is. For now.

English is spoken by a lot of people.  (Wikipedia places it at approximately 375 million.)  And there are some bizarre mispronunciations out there.  Some like to call it accent, but lets be honest.  Mispronunciations, people.
The nor'east gives us:
war-shing.  as in, I'm just standing here warshing the dishes.

And a smattering of southern elementary school teachers can be heard to say:
barr-ee.  as in, Johnny, let Sue Ellen barr-ee a pencil.  She forgat hers.
axe.  as in, Sue Ellen, axe Johnny if you can bar-ee one of his pencils.

From the great town of Huntsville we get quite a few...
nu-cu-lar.  as in, Homer Simpson works at the nu-cu-lar power plant. (Richard's personal favorite)

Sam is now adding his own.  I think I may adopt it myself:
a-nor-ing.  as in, Hannah, stop that, it's really a-nor-ing me!!! grrrrrr......

5 comments:

  1. Oh I wish you would go on and on. There are a lot more here in the South. Just can't think of any at the moment. But there are more. And where is a picture of Josh? He is too cute not to post about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I had a slip of the tongue just yesterday myself and used the phrase "axe me!" Oh, and you forgot about "birfday." And in my little southern Utah hometown people say things like "carn" (corn), "Harmones"(hormones), fark (fork) etc....And my sister who has lived in Florida for 15 years says Agravaaatinist'. As in "you are the agravaaatinist person I ever knew."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always loved sleeping on pellows and coloring with crans in Idaho. And my grandma once told me that some celves got inta her field and ate all the carn just as it was ripening up. (Amber, she's in Northern Utah so apparently it's accross the whole state) Tragic, really.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You made me giggle. I miss the South. A little.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't forget about Coach Z, our favorite Englishist:

    http://www.homestarrunner.com/cantsayjob.html

    ReplyDelete