Wednesday, December 23, 2009

My daughter believes in magic and my son is from outer space

I hate packing. My favorite scene from The Sword in the Stone is when with swish of his wand and a charming magic song Merlina has packed up his entire house.


Hockety pockety wockety wack that's the way we have to pack. Higitus Figitus migitus mum pres-ti-dig-i-ton-i-um!

I was complaining about this chore to Hannah before we left on our Christmas trip to Memphis.
Sarah: I wish I could pack up like Merlin.  But I forgot the magic words.
Hannah: perplexed Um, maybe they're on the DVD case.  Returns with the movie.  Here you go.
Sarah:  Drat!  Not on here.  But it wouldn't matter anyway.  I lost my magic wand.
Hannah:  For real and honest and true?  You could do magic?
Sarah: evasive Weeeeell, I lost my wand anyway.  Didn't I, Richard?
Richard:  uh-huh.
This is where Hannah gets thoughtful for a while.  In retrospect, I think she decided I wasn't being "for real and honest and true" when I got Richard to collaberate.  He's always making stuff up.
Hannah:  Mom, I know some magic words.
Sarah: surprised she's playing along  Okay.  whisper in my ear.
Hannah: "Work together."  She straightens up.  I'll go pick out some clothes.
Sarah: stunned silence.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~




The day after a particularly gruesome I-can't-find-my-blanket episode Sam says to me, "Mom, I'm sorry, but I'm on the wrong planet."

And I couldn't really argue with that.

6 comments:

  1. HA HA HA HA HA! Love this post! They crack me up!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow... what a smart daughter you have!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a clever little girl. Just like her mama. And I love the 8 years song. Clever, clever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the rest of the "Sam on another planet":
    Richard: Well Sam you may be on the wrong planet but your blanket is still on This planet, and if you go back now you still won't have your blanket. Sooo, let's keep looking. ok?
    Sam in his pouty cuteness: Ok.

    you guys are truly awesome parents!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, Hannah is so sweet and sam, well, if sam wasn't a space case would we all love him so much?

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL, that's hilarious!
    erin

    ReplyDelete